WHAT IS AN INTERNSHIP?
An internship is any carefully monitored work or service experience in which you have intentional learning goals and reflect actively on what you are learning throughout the experience. Internships typically last 4-15 weeks for a minimum of 100 hours during the semester or over the summer.
WHAT DO I GAIN BY DOING AN INTERNSHIP?
- The opportunity to acquire new skills and discover new interests.
- A “foot in the door” with employers who look to their internship pool for full-time hires.
- A network of professionals, and perhaps a mentor, who can assist you with your career management.
How Do I FIND INTERNSHIPS?
- Start by meeting with your Gateway Counselor to discuss what kind of internships interest you.
- Click here for suggestions on resources and the tools necessary for an effective search.
- Visit our extensive list of internship search links here.
how do i get ACADEMIC CREDIT for my internship?
- Assess if you need or truly want to receive credit for this internship.
- Not all internships require academic credit. Be sure that your internship either requires you to receive credit or that you want to gain credit prior to proceeding.
- There are many College policies surrounding gaining credit for summer internships. Summer internships are available through selected academic departments or the College-wide internship program (INT 200). All students are eligible for one internship course. Students earning a cumulative grade point average of 3.2 or above may petition to take a second internship for credit. Normally, first-year students and sophomores are not eligible for participation in an internship for academic credit unless approved by the Academic Progress Committee.
Still want credit? You have two options: INT200 or Departmental Credit. Read more.
For further information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW DO I FUND MY INTERNSHIP?
Lafayette Internship Stipend Program
Through the generosity of Lafayette alumni, parents, and the senior class, Career Services has a number of internship stipends available to support students doing unpaid or high cost summer internships. These vary in amount and some are designated by career focus and geographical location. An internship does not need to be secured at the time of application. Review the following for specifics:
- Learn more about summer internship stipends and apply
- Learn more about the Robert Beane ’58 Intern Scholar Program and apply
Funding Sources Beyond Lafayette for Summer Experiences
There are many organizations that you may apply to for funding of no-pay or low-pay opportunities in a variety of career areas.
How Do I Find INTERNSHIP HOUSING?
Summer Housing Beyond Lafayette
It is important to consider internships in varied locations since the options in your preferred industry may be limited close to home. Interning in another part of the country (or the world) also allows you to expand your comfort zone and encounter new perspectives.
View a suggested list of summer housing resources here.
Summer Housing at Lafayette
If you would like to live on campus during the summer as you intern Lafayette Residence Life does offer housing on campus to Lafayette students in the summer for a fee.
Apply for summer housing on campus here.
Career Services Funding for Lehigh Valley Summer Internships
If you’re interning in the Lehigh Valley area during the summer, the Office of Career Services can sponsor a limited number of students for on-campus housing available at no cost to students.
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until all spots are filled.
- You must also apply for housing through Residence Life.
- Free summer intern housing is not guaranteed to all applicants. Half the spots will be held until May 1st for students interning at non-profits.
- If your permanent residence is in the Lehigh Valley you are not eligible.
WHERE CAN I READ & VIEW MORE LAFAYETTE INTERNSHIP STORIES?
Alumni: LUNCH ‘n LEARN: SHORTCUTS TO SUCCESS!
It’s lunchtime! Satisfy your hunger for career knowledge and make your lunch break work for you by registering for these FREE monthly career chats. Everyone […]
Fall 2014 Career Services Calendar
Our fall calendar remains a work in progress, but click this link Career Services Fall 2014 Calendar to see and save the dates for all the great […]
Welcome Class of 2018!
We sent you our Gateway brochure this summer with a letter of welcome which included the link to register for Gateway. If you haven’t already registered, […]
Lafayette Career Fair -Sept. 17, 2014
The annual Career Fair will be held on September 17, 2014 from 4:30pm- 8:00pm. This is a great way for employers and students to connect! […]
Lafayette Career Fair Information for Employers
LAFAYETTE COLLEGE CAREER FAIR WED., SEPTEMBER 17, 2014 4:30-8:00pm Marquis Hall Free Parking & Buffet Dinner included in registration. Click here to register & pay […]
Search Our Site
201 Hogg Hall
Easton, PA 18042
Phone: (610) 330-5115
Fax: (610) 330-5719
HOURS: Monday through Friday 8:45AM - 5:00PM