Gateway Program Benefits
For students who participate in the Gateway program, the benefits are both calculable and incalculable. According to research conducted by the Office of Career Services, students who remain consistently engaged with Gateway throughout their four years at Lafayette are almost twice as likely to have firm plans by graduation as their non-Gateway peers. A striking 99 percent of students who participate in Lafayette’s nationally recognized January Externship program, a key part of Gateway, reported that the experience helped them clarify their career goals. Hands-on experiences really can alter your course—for the better.
When it comes time for graduation and job searching, employers report that Gateway “completers” (i.e. students who complete the process) are more focused, have more robust career experiences, and are much better prepared to talk about themselves. These benefits, along with those described below, are what help make well-prepared graduates poised for success, and they make Lafayette’s Gateway Program a precedent setting national leader.
Benefits Gateway Students have Enjoyed
- Individualized support from their Gateway counselor to develop a plan aligned to their specific interests and goals.
- Participation in a two-to-five day shadowing experience for sophomores, juniors, and seniors, through the January Externship Program.
- The opportunity to apply for alumni-sponsored internships.
- Access to AlumNet, a network of alumni with whom they can talk about different fields and career options.
- Personal assistance in developing well-written résumés, curriculum vitae (CV), cover letters, and personal statements.
- Ability to clearly articulate their career goals to prospective employers and/or graduate or professional schools.
- Workshops, alumni career panels, career fairs, and other career networking programs.
- Support from internship stipends while doing unpaid or high cost internships.
- Mock interviews (phone, in-person, or virtual) with a Gateway counselor or alumni from their field of interest to prepare students for formal interviews.
- Access to Career Spot (online job and internship postings) and Job Alerts—a service that notifies students via email of jobs and internships that match their specific interests.
- Assistance in exploring graduate/professional school opportunities, along with navigating the application process.
- On-campus interviews for internships and full-time employment with a variety of employers.
- Preparation for the transition to life after Lafayette, with confidence.
Spring 2018 Calendar – Now Available!
As the Spring 2018 semester quickly approaches, we’re happy to present our CALENDAR! Be sure to check back periodically […]
January Networking Nights
Alumni representing a variety of industries come together with students for an evening of conversation and connections. All students and all alumni are welcome.
Were you unable to attend the Alumni With Global Experiences Panel and Reception?
The panel was held November 9th but you can still listen to and learn from dedicated alumni with […]
Search Our Site
201 Hogg Hall
Easton, PA 18042
Phone: (610) 330-5115
Fax: (610) 330-5719
Monday-Friday 8:45AM - 4:30PM